Below is a short list of our most frequently asked questions. Interested in learning more? Our team of experts are waiting to speak to you!

Lutheran West - Rocky River, OH

How does an International Student Program differ from a Cultural Exchange Program?

Unlike a cultural exchange program where students study abroad for a semester or a school year, the aim of our international student program is for students to receive their secondary education exclusively in the United States. The ultimate goal of these students is acceptance into colleges and universities here in the U.S., making their commitment long-term. At Three W International, most of our students meet that goal, so there's good reason their enrollment can last the duration of their high school years.

What is the difference between a J-1 Visa and an F-1 Visa?

Students on J-1 Visas are commonly referred to as cultural exchange students. These students are able attend school in the U.S. for up to one year, but most must return to their native country and complete a 2-year foreign residence requirement. Students on F-1 Visas are commonly referred to as international students. These students are able to attend school in the U.S. year after year, provided they are enrolled in a qualifying educational institution and show evidence of sufficient funds to pursue their course of study.

What is the cost of the program to schools?

Each program is uniquely tailored to cover its own costs. We will work with you to determine what you need to run a successful and vibrant international student program and design the program with those costs built in. In short, there is no direct cost to the school.

What countries do our students come from?

We currently place students from the region of China (including Hong Kong, Taiwan, and Macau), Brazil, and Vietnam.

In what grades do these students typically enroll?

The majority of our students enroll in 9th, 10th, and 11th grade. In some instances, students will enroll in 7th and 8th grade as well.

What is the English language proficiency level of these students?

Although we have our own minimum requirements, language proficiency requirements will differ from school to school. We understand that every school has different resources and support structures in place and we will work with you to establish a language proficiency level that will be appropriate for your school.

We are a day school and do not have a boarding facility. What can we do?

We work with day schools, boarding schools, and schools that offer both day and boarding options. Day schools typically operate on some form of a host family or home-stay platform and we have several options we can discuss with you.

Where do these students go after high school?

A large majority of the students in Three W International programs continue on to receive their post-secondary education in colleges and universities across the U.S..